To report a lost or found animal, call the Humboldt County Animal Shelter at 707.840.9132
Open M-F 10am - 4pm, and Tuesdays and Thursdays until 7pm.
Closed holidays and weekends.
If you live in Rio Dell or Fortuna, call 707.725.7552
If you live in an incorporated town or city and have an animal to be picked up, please call your local police department.
If you live in an unincorporated part of Humboldt County, call the Sheriff's Department at 707.445.7251
Here's What to Do For a Lost Pet
- Call the Humboldt County Animal Shelter 707.840.9132 to report lost or found pets.
- Visit Petco Love Lost which makes reuniting lost pets easier and free using facial recognition technology to search a national database. Click HERE to search now
- Visit the Humboldt County Animal Shelter as soon as possible and look for your pet. The Shelter should be visited at least once every 24 hours and at a minimum of once every 48 hours.
- Visit the Humboldt County Animal Shelter's list of lost pets on petharbor.com (type in your zip code click on 'Find Shelters, then select Humboldt County Animal Services and click on 'Search'; select the button 'I lost my pet' and specify breed, etc.).
- Make lost pet posters. Include a picture, description and information on how to get in touch with you. Post them at public places in your neighborhood. (Check local ordinances on posting)
- Post lost pet ad with picture on as many online resources as possible
Online Resources for Lost and Found Pets
- humboldt.craigslist.org Post to Lost & Found and Pets sections
You know your pet better than anyone and the ultimate responsibility for finding it is yours. Pets have been reunited with their families weeks and months after their disappearance. Keep vigilant in your search!